Burnham Overy


Drainage Mills (Windpumps)
Steam Mills

Burnham Overy Staithe postmill stood in Mill Road to the south of the village. A postmill was moved to the site from Wells in 1866, presumably to replace an earlier mill. When the mill was sold in 1889 a bake office and grocery shop were also being run on the premises.

Post mill stood in Black’s Lane, Wells next the Sea early 19th Cent. ….The old mill was removed some years ago & re-erected at Burnham Overy Staithe & in 1892 was derelict. It had been on fire more than once, but had survived the ordeal. Not worth breaking up it is left to rot & tumble away. My first recollection of the mill was as far back as 1835.
Norfolk Miscellany - ?

Nathaniel Nelson of Burnham Overy, Miller
Deed of Assignment
Norfolk Chronicle - 12th August 1820

Burnham Overy Staithe
Baking Office with Grover’s Shop, Dwelling house & Cottages
To be sold by Auction by Spicer & Andrews
At the Hoste Arms Hotel, Burnham Market, on Monday 30 September 1889 at 3 for 4 o’c in the afternoon (by direction of the proprietor) in three lots.
The Estate, which is all Freehold, contains 2¼ acres (more or less) and is most advantageously situate next main thoroughfares.
An extensive business has been carried on for many years by the late Mr. Michael Riches.
Immediate possession may be had.
Particulars & Conditions of Sale of the Auctioneers, Wells next the Sea, or Messrs. Barton & Vores, Solrs. East Dereham.
Lynn Advertiser - 28th September 1889

O. S. Map 1886
O. S. Map 1886
Courtesy of NLS map images

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

c.1805: Mill moved from Wells and re-erected

1820: Nathaniel Nelson, miller

Pigot's 1830:
Nthl. Nelson, miller, Burnham Overy

White's 1836: Nathaniel Nelson, miller & baker

White's 1845: Nathaniel Nelson, miller & baker

1846: Charles Smith, miller

1850: Charles Smith, miller

White's 1854: Mary Ann Smith, miller & baker (widow of Charles Smith)

1858: Mary Ann Smith, miller & baker

1863: Michael Riches, miller

White's 1864: Michael Riches, miller & baker

1866: Postmill moved from Wells and re-erected presumably to the replace earlier mill

Kelly's 1879: Michael Riches, miller & baker

White's 1883: Michael Riches, corn miller & baker (staith)

O.S. map 1886:
Windmill (Corn)

c.1888: Michael Riches, miller, died

1888: Mary Ann Riches, miller & baker (widow of Michael Riches)

September 1889: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1890: Mary Ann Riches, baker & grocer

1892: Mill derelict

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TF84354400
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006