Norwich Road


Drainage Mills (Windpumps)
Steam Mills

Thetford Norwich Road postmill stood on the north side of the town, to the south of what is now Vicarage Road between the Croxton Road and the Norwich Road and just southeast of the Croxton_Road_postmill.

Ogilby's Britannia London to Norwich map - 1675
Ogilby's Britannia London to Norwich map - 1675

Mr. Green's mill raised at Thetford July 1817.
Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham - 1804 - 1838
Henry Green's mill was probably originally built as an open trestle mill. At some point the mill was set onto a roundhouse and this was increased in height in 1817, which in turn raised the height of the mill buck. This was deemed necessary to ensure the mill retained full access to wind as nearby house building began to encroach.

Boundary Commission map c.1831 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Boundary Commission map c.1831 - original S. A. Rumball, redrawn by Harry Apling
Norwich Road postmill to the southeast and Croxton Rd mill to the north

Tithe Award 1844
Map, Pratt & Son, Norwich, 1843
Owner: Mary Tyrell
Occupier: do

No. 100
No. 101

Mill Close
Mill & Yard


4a. 1r. 14p.
0a. 2r. 12p.
4a. 2r. 12p.

£1. 9. 8
£1. 9. 11


Tithe Award map 1843 - redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe Award map 1843 - redrawn by Harry Apling

O. S. Map 1882
O. S. Map 1882
Courtesy of NLS map images

Ogilby's Britannia map London to Norwich 1675: Windmill

Morden's map 1695: Windmill

1817: Mill rebuilt and raised in height by Henry Green

1822: Henry Green, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Pigot's 1830: Henry Green, miller, Botany Bay lane

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

Survey of Thetford by R. K. Dawson 1835: Windmill

O.S. map 1836: Windmill

White's 1836: Henry Green, corn miller, Grove house

1839: Henry Green, miller

1840: Henry Green, miller

Tithe Award 1844: Owner & occupier: Mary Tyrell

White's 1845: Henry Green, miller, Botany Bay Lane

1846: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1850: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1853: Henry Roberts Green, miller

White's 1854: Henry Green, corn miller, Grove house

1858: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1863: Henry Roberts Green, miller

White's 1864: Henry Green, corn miller, Botany bay road

1865: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1868: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1872: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1875: Henry Roberts Green, miller

1878: Henry Roberts Green, miller

Kelly's 1879: Henry Roberts Green, miller, Grove house

O.S. map 1882: Windmill (Corn)

3rd June 1976: Mill site sold by Bedfords

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TL87278353
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011