Wheatacre postmill


Drainage Mills (Windpumps)
Steam Mills

Wheatacre post mill stood on the edge of Wheatacre Common and was worked in conjunction with the nearby Burgh_St_Peter_towermill that was built c.1825 just to the east. The mill, set on a roundhouse, was built with common sails and may have used them to the end of its working life.

On 3rd August 1601, William Maxwell, miller at Aldbey made a will and left the leases of his two mills to his son, William Maxwell jnr. One mill was at Wheatacre Burrowe and the other was described as being at Howe, possibly meaning one of the mills at Ludham.

To be SOLD by AUCTION at the White Lion Inn, Beccles on Friday 26 April instant at 4 o’c (Unless previously disposed of by Private Contract of which Notice will be given)
Lot 1. All that substantial Freehold Brick TOWER_WINDMILL, nearly new, with Patent Sails, Winding Tackle, Iron Shaft, Flour Mills, Stones & Jumpers complete, together with half an Acre of land attached thereto. Early possession may be had of this lot.
Lot 2. All that POST WINDMILL …
Lot 3. All those Freehold Tenements or Cottages, Stable, Piggeries & other Buildings together with 2 Acres of Arable Land in the Occupation of Mr. James Sayer & Robert Moore.
Lot One will be Sold with the Trade attached to both Mills, as Mr. Sayer is withdrawing from the business.
Apply to Mr. James Sayer or to Mr. Barnard, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th & 20th April 1839

To Millers
WHEATACRE BURGH Mills. Between Beccles & Lowestoft.
To be Sold by Private Contract. Together or separately.
All those Tower & Post WINDMILLS, Cottages & Two acres & a half of Land in the occupation of Mr. James SAYER, with every convenience for the Trade. This is an established situation - both Mills stand upon remarkably high ground in a fine Corn District & very near the Navigation from Beccles to Lowestoft & possession may be had immediately.

Apply to Mr. BARNARD, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th May 1839

Peremptory Sale
To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Fenn
On Monday 20 September 1858 at the Dun Cow in Aldeby, in the County of Norfolk, at 5 o'c in the afternoon precisely, by the direction of the Mortgagee under a power of Sale.
Four Brick and Tiled DWELLING HOUSES and a large Brick Round-house formerly part of Windmill, also upwards of an Acre and a half of Arable Land and Garden Ground, all situate in Wheatacre All Saints ...
The property is all Freehold and subject only to Land tax.
Further particulars and conditions of sale may be had on application to Mr. Webster, Solicitor, or the Auctioneer, Beccles.

Norfolk News - 11th September 1858

According to George Jeffries of Mill House, miller at Burgh_St_Peter_towermill, who died at well over 90 years old, the mill was dismantled and re-erected at Gillingham, where it was used as a drainage pump.

O.S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

1601: William Maxwell, miller

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Poll Book 1802: Robert Sayer, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

White's 1836:
James Sayer, corn miller

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

James Sayer, miller

White's1845: George Hammond, corn miller

1845-1858: Mill buck dismantled between these dates

September 1858: Mill roundhouse and site advertised for sale by auction

O.S. map 1884: Old Windmill

April 1939: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with Burgh_St_Peter_towermill

2010: Mr. E. Roberts, Mill House

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TM46459345
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005