Langley Detached
drainage pump

River Yare

10th June 1974
10th June 1974

Langley Detached mill was built to stand alone on the 2,000 acre Haddiscoe Island some 30 yards from the River Yare. In later years the mill became known as the Red Mill, partly because the 4 storey red brick tower held a red painted Norfolk boat shaped cap.

In 2010, the Norfolk boat shaped cap still housed the cast iron windshaft and some machinery.

4th June 2023
4th June 2023

O. S. Map 1926
O. S. Map 1926
Courtesy of NLS map images

1840-1880: Mill built

c.1940: Mill ceased operation

1974: Mill tower with red cap, windshaft, brakewheel, remains of fan cradle with small thatched extension

1989: Heavily weathered red painted cap, windshaft with canister and some machinery.

2010: Mill being let for self catering holiday accommodation

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 46550447
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2010