drainage pump
Halvergate Fleet

July 1988
July 1988

Halvergate Mutton's mill was originally called Manor Mill but became known as Mutton's mill as Fred Mutton was the last keeper. Unusually, the scoop wheel is innal

30th August 2008
30th August 2008

August 2023
August 2023

Norfolk Mutton's Mill awarded for conservation excellence

The restoration of a one-of-a-kind mill in the heart of the Norfolk Broads has scooped two design and craftsmanship awards
Mutton's Mill, near Halvergate, has undergone extensive renovation work, with more than 50 City College Norwich students getting involved in the heritage project, partnered by the Broads Authority and the college.
The mill, originally built in 1830, is unique in the Broads as the only working windmill with an internal scoop wheel. With the help of more than 50 City College Norwich students, the mill has been restored to near-original and working condition.
During the restoration, students learned century-old techniques, including using lime mortar, linseed oil and specialist carpentry and brickwork skills.
The team behind the restoration - which was part of the Water, Mills and Marshes: Broads Landscape Partnership - received awards for conservation and sustainability at the Norwich and Norfolk Design and Craftmanship Awards, held at the Norwich Assembly House on November 16.
Programme manager Andrew Farrell said: “We are delighted to see the hard work of young people and the team acknowledged with yet another award.
“The focus of the project has always been on training the next generation of craftspeople, instilling new skills, and inspiring them to work in the Broads."
The Broads wind pumps are the largest concentration of mills in the country, with over 60 still standing.
However, a national shortage of millwrights (experts in the restoration of historic mills) and the gradual dilapidation of the structures themselves have meant that the wind pumps and the valuable skills needed to keep them alive are slowly disappearing.
Mutton's Mill retains much of its original 19th-century fabric, and new timbers have been repaired and scarfed in as much as possible. 
The restored mill is one of the main focus points on the new Halvergate Mills trail, which also passes Berney Arms Mill, High’s Mill and Howard’s Mill. 

James Weeds - Eastern Daily Press- 25th November 2023

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

1947: Mill ceased working with Fred Mutton as the keeper

1984: New cap and six bladed fantail fitted

1998: A single pair of patent sails fitted

2005: Fantail blown off in a gale

2008: New fantail fitted

2023: Mill in good condition and restored - video

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref  TG 44106 05869
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2023