Bacton Wood

Bacton Wood post mill was a small mill that stood at Spa Common near North Walsham just to the north of Bacton Wood watermill. The two mills were probably always worked under the same ownership.

Notice to Debtors & Creditors
Samuel TURNER of CROMER, otherwise Shipden, miller assigned effects for the benefit of creditors to Mrs. Mary Joy of Roughton, widow & Mr. Joseph Cubitt of Bacton, miller ...

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th November 1806

The inventor, Sir William Cubitt was born at Dilham in 1775 where his father Joseph Cubitt, ran a mill. From an early age William helped his father in the windmill, showing particular aptitude in the repair of the machinery. A few years later in 1802 his father moved to Bacton_Wood_watermill and William joined him in 1804. William then had several jobs within Norfolk before moving back to Bacton_Wood_watermill in 1807. On 9th May in that year was granted a patent titled 'Method of Equalising the Motion of the Sails of Windmills.' This was a system of self regulating shuttered windmill sails,known as Patent Sails that eventually became the industry standard, replacing the canvas covered Common Sails. He then embarked on an illustrious career in civil engineering that included general, railway and waterway projects. He died in 1861.

Sir William Cubitt
Sir William Cubitt

The first windmill to be fitted with William Cubitt's Patent Sails was Stalham smockmill run by Mr. Cox. At the time William Cubitt was still working with his father Joseph at Bacton Wood.

O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Faden's map 1797: Mill

1790: Joseph Cubitt, miller

Poll Book 1799: Thomas White, miller

Poll Book 1802: Joseph Cubitt, miller

Poll Book 1806: Joseph Cubitt, miller

Poll Book 1807: Joseph Cubitt, miller

Poll Book 1822: Joseph Cubitt, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

1828: Devisees of Joseph Cubitt, miller

Enclosure Award map 1828: Postmill & watermill. Owners: Devisees of Joseph Cubitt, miller

1830: George Cubitt, miller, WOOD MILL

Greenwood's 1834: Mill

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TG30003085
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006