Burnham Norton


Drainage Mills (Windpumps)
Steam Mills

A mill stood in Burnham Norton and a Mill Wood is shown on the 1904 O.S. map at Grid Reference TF82754270. In 1886, the map listed the wood as Middle Wood.

The Old Victoria House on Norton Lane was owned by the Rev. Henry Spurling in 1865 when it was called Wightmans. After his death in 1724 it passed to his daughter Mary, who married the Rev. Thomas Smithson. In 1755 the house was let to the Rev, Bryan Allott and in 1771 sold to a miller, Thomas Foley, who had a post mill at the top of Herrings Lane. He moved it to the summit of his new property, which is now called Mill Green. The property eventually became a public house in the mid-19th century called the Victoria Inn, which closed in 1963 and became a private residence again.
A 21st Century Walk Around Burnham Market

Index of Wills 1750: Christopher Dexter, miller


Thomas Foley, miller bought a house called Wightmans on Bellamy Lane, later to be called
The Old Victoria House

c.1772: Mill moved to Burnham Market by Thomas Foley

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TF829428 approx
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006